Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.4. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version of Moodle may be available here: Text editor.
This page really needs improving. Please see the page comments for suggestions of what to include, then remove this template when you're done.
The text editor (sometimes referred to as the HTML editor) has many icons to assist the user in entering content. Many of these icons and functions should be familiar to anyone who uses a word processor. Some examples of where you will see the text editor include: Editing Section headings, description of an activity, writing an answer to a quiz question or editing the content of many blocks.
Video introduction to the text editor
HTML editor in Moodle 2.0 video:
List of groups
For those who are not familiar with the tool bar, here are the functions listed by group using the above example. Remember that the site administrator can edit or provide additonal toolbars.
There are 4 levels of selecting a font or background color,
- A quick pick 5x8 matrix of colors
- "More colors" that links to Picker, Pallet and Named tabs
Insert images and media
- 1 Insert Image - uses File picker
- 2 Insert Emoticon
- 3 Insert Media - uses File picker
- 4 Insert Equation - uses java script editor
- 5 Insert Non breaking space
- 6 Insert Custom character - Special keyboard characters
- 7 Insert Table -
Site administration settings
Some site settings might impact what the teacher sees or can use on the text editor. For more details see:
- Site administration>Appearence>HTML settings - to change emoticon HTML code or images
- Site administration>Plugins>Text editors - change spellchecker and manage text editors