Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Roadmap.
This roadmap collects the best information about upcoming features in Moodle. It is not 100% certain - features may change according to available funding and developers.
Version 1.9 - Expected June 2007
- Gradebook development - Moodle.com and OU
- The gradebook system will be revamped for performance, switching from our older "pull" model to a "push" model where all modules will now publish grades as necessary into a central table. Support for (local/state) outcomes/goals/competencies is included! => really hope to consider including Gradebook Plus or add similar features to allow instructors to input grades directly!
- Event API - Moodle.com
- The new Events API provides a way for any code to "hook" into events in a clean, loosely coupled way. it's a foundation of the new Gradebook.
- Repository API ? - Open University, Moodle.com, Humboldt and Warp Networks
- Abstract all file operations to an API that allows plugins for different external repositories
- Improved question bank - Jamie Pratt
- Allows questions to be shared by the whole site, a course category, a singe course, or be kept private to a single module. More control over who can do what to each question.
- Learning Design export? - Moodle.com and Open University of The Netherlands
- We plan to have a very simple export for any Moodle course into IMS LD format, as a proof of concept and to help the community start learning about IMS LD.
- New groups - Open University
- Site-wide groups, reusable groups, and assigning activities to groups are the major improvements being developed
Version 2.0 - Expected Late 2007
- IMS Learning Design - Moodle.com
- Support for importing/exporting LD, converting Moodle activities and sequences of activities into a standard format for sharing, and importing standard sequences into Moodle courses
- Conditional activities - Moodle.com
- Allowing dependencies and forced paths through the content
- Community hub interfaces - Moodle.com and others
- Makes it easy for users to find and navigate other systems and external Moodle repositories, leveraging the Moodle Network in various ways.
- API for integrating external systems for managing student information
- Old DB install/upgrade system removed
- The deprecated system for installing or upgrading database entries used in Moodle < 1.7 will be completely removed, while supporting only the new XML based database scheme introduced in 1.7
- Moodle Voice is a project for embedding VoiceXML support into Moodle Core.
Note: Moodle 2.0 will require PHP 5.1 as a minimum, because of certain improvements not available in PHP 4.
- Interface Moodle activities and repositories to help produce portfolios for internal assessment AND external publication