Moodle site moodle directory
The Moodle code is located in its own directory (folder) with files and sub-directories. Generally speaking, these can be found in the zip file in the standard download in and will be unpacked in a directory called "moodle".
There are some key files in the "moodle" directory:
- config.php - contains basic settings. This file does not come with Moodle. It is created when the install.php script runs or it can be created and edited manually.
- install.php - the script that will run to create config.php
- version.php - defines the current version of Moodle code
- index.php - the front page of the site
Located in the "moodle" directory are many sub directories, each will contain more sub directories and php code files. Some of them include:
- admin/ - code to administrate the whole server
- auth/ - plugin modules to authenticate users
- blocks/ - plugin modules for the little side blocks on many pages
- calendar/ - all the code for managing and displaying calendars
- course/ - code to display and manage courses
- files/ - code to display and manage uploaded files
- lang/ - texts in different languages, one directory per language
- lib/ - libraries of core Moodle code
- login/ - code to handle login and account creation
- mod/ - all the main Moodle course modules are here
- pix/ - generic site graphics
- repository/ - code to handle the 2.x file handling system
- theme/ - theme packs/skins to change the look of the site
- user/ - code to display and manage users
moodledata - another folder
"moodledata" is a folder that contains user files, course files, site language, cached and other information. It is created in the Moodle install process. It should be located outside of the "moodle" folder and is called by default "moodledata". See Creating Moodle site data directory.