Difference between revisions of "Lesson settings"
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Lesson settings.
(updating settings for 2.3)
|Line 140:||Line 140:|
[[fr:Ajouter/modifier une leçon]]
[[fr:Ajouter/modifier une leçon]]
Revision as of 15:39, 11 July 2012
This page explains the settings involved when first creating a lesson. To add a lesson to your Moodle course page:
- With the editing turned on,in the section you wish to add your lesson, click the "Add an activity or resource" link (or, if not present, the "Add an activity" drop down menu )and choose Lesson
- This will take you to the Lesson settings page.
- 1 Lesson administration settings
- 1.1 General
- 1.2 Grade
- 1.3 Grade options
- 1.4 Flow Control
- 1.4.1 Allow Student Review
- 1.4.2 Provide option to try a question again
- 1.4.3 Maximum Number of Attempts
- 1.4.4 Action after a Correct Answer
- 1.4.5 Display default feedback
- 1.4.6 Progress bar
- 1.4.7 Display left menu
- 1.4.8 Display left menu only if grade greater than ...%
- 1.4.9 Number of pages to show
- 1.4.10 Minimum Number of Questions
- 1.4.11 Slideshow
- 1.4.12 Link to an activity
- 1.5 Pop-up to file or web page
- 1.6 Dependent on
- 2 Other settings
- 3 Site administration settings
- 4 See also
Lesson administration settings
- Note: Click the "Show Advanced" button to the right if you don't see all the options below.
- The name you add here will be the link the students click on to get to your Lesson.
- This allows you to set a time limit on the lesson. Students will see a count down counter as they work.The timer does not stop them doing the the lesson when the time is up, but correct answers are no longer scored.
- Here you can set a start and end date and time for your Lesson.
Maximum Number of Answers
- Here you can set the default number of answer boxes available when you add your question or content pages. For instance, if you are only going to use True/False, you would only need 2. You can change this at any time so it's not crucial.
- Change to "Yes" and enter the password if you want students only to access it when they know the password.
- Set a grade and grade category here.
- Use this if you don't need the lesson to be scored/graded but just need students to work through some pages.
- Use this to give a particular number score (negative or positive) to each answer
- Choose this if you want your students to be able to do the lesson more than once.
Handling of re-takes
- If you allow your students to re-take the lesson, then decide here if the grade for all lesson attempts is the mean or the maximum.
- Note that the Question Analysis always uses the answers from the first tries of the lesson. Re-takes by students are ignored.
Display ongoing score
- Choose this to let students see their score as they work through the lesson.
- Note: Click the "Show Advanced" toggle button to the right if you don't see all the options below.
- Using Lesson gives examples of how these settings may be put to best effect.
Allow Student Review
- This puts a "Review Lesson" button on the last screen of the lesson to encourage the student to navigate through the lesson again from the start. Be sure to check other settings to allow them to change their answers.
Provide option to try a question again
- This displays a button after an incorrectly answered question so that the student can try again (but not get credit for it)
- TIP: Leave this off if you are using essay questions.
Maximum Number of Attempts
- Decide here how many times you want students to be able to attempt each question. When they reach the maximum, they will be taken automatically to the next page.
Action after a Correct Answer
- Choose here where you want a student to be sent to if they get a question right. See Using Lesson for more details on this setting. The options are:
- the next part of the Lesson (default setting)
- a random, unexpected page
- a random page which they have not yet answered.
Display default feedback
- Choose this if you want to show a set phrase regardless of their answer. If you have set your own default feedback such as "well done; correct" or "never mind; better luck next time" etc it will appear. If you have not, then Moodle's default feedback will appear.
- Choose this to show a bar at the bottom of the page showing how far into the lesson the student has got.
*Note: There are currently some issues with the lesson progress bar not displaying as expected. MDL-26016
- Choose this if you want to show a list of the pages in the Lesson so a student can see what is coming up.
- Choose this if you want the student to go through the lesson (and get a grade) once and then, on review, to be able to see and navigate through all the different pages.
Number of pages to show
- You only need this if you have set "Action after a correct answer" to show an unseen or unanswered page. Otherwise, all pages will be seen.
Minimum Number of Questions
- Set here the minimum number of questions that will be used to calculate a student's score.Students will be told how many they have answered and how many more they need to answer.
- If you are using Content pages, then set this to 0.
- If you use this setting, then add some explanatory text at the start of the lesson so the student knows how many questions they must answer as a minimum. (They may answer more.
- Choose this if you want your Lesson displayed as a slideshow with fixed width, height and custom background colour. The administrator sets the defaults for these in Settings>Site Administration>Plugins>Activity modules>Lesson.
Link to an activity
- Choose this to give students a link to another activity when they reach the end of the lesson. (Note: this can also be achieved using Conditional activities)
Pop-up to file or web page
- If you want to include a link to a file on the lesson page for students to refer to, upload it here.
- This allows access to the lesson to be dependent on students' performance in another lesson in the same course. (Note: this can also be achieved with Conditional activities)
Site administration settings
The lesson module has additional settings which may be changed by an administrator in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Lesson.
Sets the width of the slideshow only when this feature is enabled in a Lesson's "Change settings".
- Variable name: lesson_slideshowwidth, Default 640.
Sets the height of the slideshow only when this feature is enabled in a Lesson's "Change settings".
- Variable name: lesson_slideshowheight, Default 480.
Slideshow background colour
Background colour to for the slideshow if it is enabled.
- Variable name: lesson_slideshowbgcolor, Default #FFFFFF.
Popup window width
Sets the width of the popup displayed for a linked media file
- Variable name: lesson_mediawidth, Default 640.
Popup window height
Sets the height of the popup displayed for a linked media file
- Variable name: lesson_mediaheight, Default 480.
Displays a close button as part of the popup generated for a linked media file
- Variable name: lesson_mediaclose, Default No.
Number of high scores displayed
Sets the number of high scores to display
- Variable name: lesson_maxhighscores, Default: 10
Maximum number of answers
Default maximum number of answers per page for site
- Variable name: lesson_maxanswers, Default: 4.
Action after correct answer
The default action to take after a correct answer
- Variable name: lesson_defaultnextpage, Default: Normal - follow lesson path