Installations 10000 plus
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Installations 10000 plus.
Please add your school info here, if you have a Moodle installation catering (or expecting to cater) for 10,000 or more users.
- Athabasca University - Canada's leading distance-education and online university: Canada's Open University, serving about 30,000 students per year. Athabasca has decided to adopt Moodle as a single platform instead of WebCT Vista (i.e. the top of the line version). Source: NZVLE website
- Dublin City University 18,000 users in 3,600 courses.
- The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand - 35,000+ students, 6,500+ courses, single sign-on for library services using Ezy Proxy, single sign-on for webmail, using SquirrelMail, uses LDAP for interface with Sears Student Management System. Comments by Ken Udas, Director of eLearning at the Open Polytechnic
- The Open University (OU) - the United Kingdom's only university dedicated to distance learning. They have around 150,000 undergraduate and more than 30,000 postgraduate students. They recently announced their adoption of Moodle:
- "Now, The Open University’s Learning and Teaching Office has started a new programme worth nearly £5 million to build a comprehensive online student learning environment for the 21st century.
- The development, which will first appear in May of 2006, and be fully operational for February 2007 courses, will see the largest use of Moodle in the world. Moodle is a free, Open Source software package course management system used by educators to create effective online learning communities.
- Currently Open University students use a variety of software in a network to access their course work, interact with tutors and other students, use the library, submit assignments and handle administrative paperwork. The new development incorporating Moodle will ensure the network is much more user-friendly and uniform." Source: OU press release (.doc format).
- The University of Glasgow - A long-established (founded 1451) and high-profile research university in the UK, with 20,000 students (16,000 undergrad, 4,000 postgrad), 6,000 staff, 12,000 unique users of Moodle (as of Dec 2005). Uses LDAP for integration with Novell and a custom MIS system for user authentication.
- Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) uses moodle for both curriculum and Corporate and Continuing Education. For curriculum it runs in parallel to Blackboard as faculty migrate to moodle over time. There are currently no plans to go moodle only, although many administrators favor this option. The server has 30,000 or so users on it, but the actual number of active users varies widely. It is used for both hybrid and full-online classes. Corporate and Continuing Education runs its own branded instance and uses only moodle for distance education. We have about 80,000 students total, covering the range from GED, adult-ed, curriculum, and other areas serviced by 7 campuses in and around Charlotte, North Carolina.