Difference between revisions of "Cohorts"
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.3. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Cohorts.
m (→Uploading users to a cohort: typo fix)
|Line 45:||Line 45:|
Revision as of 15:20, 14 February 2012
Cohorts, or site-wide groups, enable all members of a cohort to be enrolled in a course in one action, either manually or synchronised automatically.
Creating a cohort
Cohorts can be created by site administrators and other users with appropriate permissions.
- Access Settings > Site administration > Users > Accounts > Cohorts
- Click the Add button
- NOTE In the dropdown you can choose between making your cohort available throughout the site "system" or in a named category.
- Complete the details and save the changes.
- Follow the assign link opposite the cohort name in the list of available cohorts.
- Select potential users from the list then click the Add button.
To synchronise cohort members with course participants, the Cohort sync enrolment plugin should be enabled in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Enrolments > Manage enrol plugins.
Adding users to a cohort in bulk
in Moodle 2.3!
- Access Settings > Site administration > Users > Accounts > Bulk user actions
- Find users by setting an appropriate filter
- Add users from the available list to the selected list
- Choose 'Add to cohort' with selected users
Uploading users to a cohort
in Moodle 2.3! An administrator can upload users via CSV file to existing cohorts as follows:
- Access Settings > Site administration > Users > Accounts > Upload users
- Upload a text file with the following format:
username,password,firstname,lastname,email, cohort1 tomjones,Pass1234*,Tom,Jones,email@example.com, year3 marysmith,Pass1234*,Mary,Smith,firstname.lastname@example.org, year4
where year3 and year4 are the cohort ids of existing cohorts (i.e. not their names)