Mobile Moodle FAQ
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Mobile Moodle FAQ.
How can I use Moodle on mobile devices?
There are currently 3 main ways to use Moodle on mobile devices:
- Users can open Moodle sites in their mobile web browsers.
- Users can download native apps for their mobile devices.
- Admins can configure their Moodle site to be Mobile-accessible through server extensions.
- The Unofficial Moodle Mobile app to be developed further by Juan Leyva with support from Jerome Mouneyrac, Moodle HQ and others, with a target of Moodle 2.4 for the release of the first official versions of the app
- MoodleTouch (aka mTouch) for iOS, created by Ali OzGur
- mPage for iOS and Android (work in progress), created by Mass Media HK
- Mbot for Android, created by Code Guild
- The official Mobile app for iPhone, created by Moodle HQ (no longer being developed)
- Droodle - an Android client for the Moodle 2.1 platform
- MoMo (Moodle for Mobiles) - Requires a server extension and a client app; supports most mobile OSes including Symbian.
- MLE-Moodle - Allows course designers to make a separate set of Moodle pages for mobile users. (no longer being developed and not working on 2.x)
- Moodbile - Reference implementation of Moodle Web Services. Under development.
- iPhone4Moodle - Under development.
Where can I download the official Mobile app for iPhone (My Moodle)?
The Mobile app, My Moodle, can be downloaded for free from the Apple Online Store http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/my-moodle/id461289000.
How do I get the official Mobile app to work for my Moodle site?
Firstly, your Moodle site must be using Moodle 2.1 or later.
Secondly mobile web services must be enabled. See Enable mobile web services for details.
Where can I select a theme for mobile devices?
In Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector.
New in Moodle 2.2 onwards is the MyMobile theme especially designed for mobile devices.
- Moodle for mobile forum
- Using Moodle Proposal for Supporting Mobile Themes and Browser Detection forum discussion
- An open course, about "Teaching using Mobile - Best practices"
- Moodle News - Mobile - a breakdown of the mobile projects and products available