Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Language editing.
Location: Administration > Language > Language editing
Changes in 1.9
Template:Moodle 1.9* From Moodle 1.9 onwards, only users with the capability moodle/site:langeditmaster may modify the master language packages (i.e. those being saved in moodledata/lang/). By default, the admin role has this capability set to prevent. It is expected that only language maintainers will manually allow this for themselves. Language pack maintainers have an aditional "Language pack maintaining" tab.
- From Moodle 1.9 onwards, only users with the capability moodle/site:langeditlocal may customize the site translation (i.e. files being saved in moodledata/lang_local/). Admins are allowed to do this by default.
- Added ability to edit language files in non-standard locations, i.e. string files for various types of plugin (e.g. blocks, database presets, 3rd party modules etc.)
- Features coming soon: The ability to edit help files in non-standard locations and translate local modifications of help files.
- Language FAQ
- Development:Places to search for lang strings
- Talk:Language editing for information on language editing in Moodle 1.5
- Tutorial Showing How to Change a Word or Phrase in Moodle 1.9
Using Moodle forum discussions: