Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Installation Quickstart.
This guide is designed for administrators who have installed Moodle before and need a quick recap to jog their memory. It could also be useful for those administrators who wish to have an overview of the installation procedure before they start with our more detailed installation guide.
- Install PHP and required extensions, a supported database such as MySQL and a webserver on the target computer
- Create a blank database (call it moodle if you like) and create a database user with the appropriate permissions
- Create a data directory (call it moodledata if you wish) outside of the webserver.
- Ensure the webserver is the owner of the data folder and give the owner read, write and execute permissions
- Download Moodle
- Extract the files and place them in the documents folder on the webserver (or any webserver subfolder)
- Go to http://yourserver/install.php or http://yourserver/subfolders/install.php to start the installation
- Download the config.php file from your webserver and place in the moodle root if prompted
- If you agree with the GPL license you will be allowed to continue
- Give your site a name and description
- Configure an admin account
One last thing
Once you have finished setting up moodle you need to set up cron.
That's it! Well done :-)