Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Choice settings.
- 1 Choice administration settings
- 2 Restrict answering to this time period
- 3 Miscellaneous settings
- 4 Common module settings
- 5 Choice responses
- 6 Choice permissions
Choice administration settings
- With the editing turned on, choose from the dropdown Add an Activity the option Choice.
A short name of the choice (e.g. "Favourite colour"). This will be displayed on the course's homepage.
Type the description of the choice activity here. It should contain the question that you want your students to answer. An example of the choice text could be "What is your favourite colour?"
Enabling this option allows you to limit the number of participants who can select each particular choice. When that number has been reached, no one else can select that choice.
Warning!! If you unintentionally check this box but don't add a number then your students won't be able to select any choices and will get confused :)
Option 1; Option 2 etc 1
- Specify here the options that participants have to choose from. They will become radio buttons when the choice is saved.
- You need a minimum of 2 for it to work. You can leave other options blank or click "Add 3 fields to form" to add more options.
- If Limits is disabled, then any number of participants can select any of the options.
Restrict answering to this time period
This setting allows you to define a time window within which participants are allowed to make a choice.
To set an open-ended close date just set the time very far in the future.
If you don't need this at all then uncheck the box.
This setting allows you to choose how the choices will be displayed to the participants: horizontally, or vertically.
Hint: In most cases, if there are only a few choices with little text, they may be positioned horizontally. However, if there are more than 5-6 choices or if the text of the choices is longer than 2-3 words, it should be better to display them vertically. (red arrow, below)
This setting determines whether (and when) the students will be able to view the results of the choice activity. They may:
- never see the results of the choice
- see the results only after they have given the answer themselves
- see the results only after the closing date of the choice
- always see the results
(teal arrow, above)
Privacy of results
If the choice results are shown to students, this setting determines whether the results will be anonymous.
(orange arrow, above)
Allow choice to be updated
If this is set to "Yes", students can change their mind after they have voted. If it's set to "No", students cannot change their choice. (lime green arrow, above)
Show column for unanswered
If set to "Yes", this will display a column showing how many participants have not answered the choice activity yet. If set to "No", the results will only include the participants who have already voted.
(purple arrow, above)
Common module settings
The group mode can be one of three levels:
- No groups - There are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community
- Separate groups - Each group can only see their own group, others are invisible
- Visible groups - Each group works in their own group, but can also see other groups
The group mode can be defined at two levels:
- Course level - The group mode defined at the course level is the default mode for all activities defined within that course
- Activity level - Each activity that supports groups can also define its own grouping mode. If the course is set to "force group mode" then the setting for each activity is ignored.
(pink arrow, above)
Visible to students
You can hide the activity from students by selecting "Hide" here. It is useful if you wouldn't like to make the activity available immediately.
(black arrow, above)
Choice responsesmod/choice:readresponses allowed) via the "View x responses" link at the top right of the choice page.
Choice responses can be downloaded in ODS, Excel or text format.
Choice responses can be deleted/reset by teachers and non-editing teachers (i.e. users with the capability mod/choice:deleteresponses allowed).
The following capabilities are related to choices: