Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.2. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Calendar export.
There are two methods for exporting a calendar in Moodle.
== To back up a calendar ==
- Click the "Export calendar" button located on the bottom of the calendar page
- Select the items you wish to back up (select "All events" to back up the entire calendar)
- Click "Export" when you are ready to export
Note: you can only export calendar events up to the next 60 days.
To copy a calendar
For use on a device such as a PDA, or to import a Moodle calendar into software such as Apple iCal, Microsoft Outlook, or Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Click on the orange "iCal" button located on the bottom of the calendar page
- Alternatively, when using "Export calendar" clicking on "Get calendar URL" will provide you with a URL which can be used with other calendar software to sync with a Moodle calendar
Note: you cannot select individual items to include in the exported file with iCal, all events will be included.
You can then import the exported calendar into your desired software.
Importing a Moodle calendar into Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning
- Enter into calendar mode by clicking the Calendar icon at the bottom-right of the client
- Click Calendar -> Import... then locate the exported iCal file
Note: changing an event in Thunderbird/Lightning will not change the event in a Moodle calendar as well, you must do that yourself.
Subscribing to a calendar in Outlook 2007
If you use an Outlook 2007 calendar, you can have your Moodle calendar events overlaid on top (or placed side by side) by following these steps:
- Go to the calendar view in your Moodle install and find the orange ical icon at the bottom and right click it, choosing "copy link location".
- Open Outlook 2007 and go to Tools->account settings->internet calendars->new.
- Paste in the address you copied from Moodle.
- Click OK and close.
- You should now see another calendar available on the left hand calendar bar, underneath 'My Calendars'. Enable this and Outlook will update the calendar every time it opens.
- Right-click on the tabs to choose between 'side by side mode' and 'overlay mode'.