Talk:Git for Administrators
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.0. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Git for Administrators.
CONTRIB code instructions?
Would it be helpful to add some instructions for how to add some CONTRIB code (for example a block) maintained in a repository to this page or better to start a separate Docs page for that? Peace - Anthony (The preceding unsigned comment was added by Anthony Borrow (talk • contribs) .)
- I'd prefer a separate page for that. We might be able to copy some stuff from the forums. --Frank Ralf 07:11, 16 March 2011 (UTC)
- David Mudrak 22:12, 29 March 2011 (UTC) I have added some short info regarding this. Can be elaborated at a separate page, for sure
- David, I think steps 2-4 can be compressed to
git clone -b MOODLE_20_STABLE git://github.com/skodak/moodle-mod_book.git book
- Also, I think you mean
echo /mod/book >> .git/info/exclude
- --Tim Hunt 07:30, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
Deleting local master branch
INSTRUCTIONS SAY "The command (4) deletes the master that was created automatically by git-clone in (2) as we do not want it in this production checkout." - I do not understand why that "master" branch needs to be deleted. What happens if it is not deleted? --Joseph Rézeau 09:07, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
- AFAIU you might accidentally fetch code from a remote master branch which might not be the version you actually use locally. See User:Frank_Ralf/Git#Deleting_master_branch.
- See Git: deleting local "master" branch in the General Developer forum for the rest of the discussion --Frank Ralf 19:40, 22 July 2011 (WST)
I started documenting my own first steps with Git at User:Frank Ralf/Git. Feel free to take anything from there which might be useful for the official documentation. Cheers, Frank --Frank Ralf 15:38, 30 June 2011 (WST)