Git is a free and open source version control system. Git is a more sophisticated replacement for CVS. You can find the official Git Moodle repository at http://git.moodle.org/ or mirror at https://github.com/moodle/moodle. The particular advantage of Git is its distributed model, making it ideal for managing local customisations to Moodle. It is also suitable for development of contrib plugins for Moodle.
Use the Git category link at the end of this page to get a list of all Git related pages.
Books and tutorials
Moodle specific guides
- Installing Moodle from Git repository - WIP
- Maintaining Moodle customisations with Git - WIP
- Submitting patches and pull requests - TODO
- Git repositories for contrib modules - WIP
The most powerful tool you can git is probably command line git. If you prefer clicking you can try one of the following, more information at http://git-scm.com/tools.
- EGit plugin for Eclipse IDE
- Netbeans - early access official Git plugin for Netbeans
- PHPStorm - commercial IDE with Git support
- TortoiseGit - Windows only UI
- GitX - OS X only UI
- SmartGit - feature rich multiplatform UI (free for non-commercial use)
- GitHub - probably the best hosting choice for beginners
- Gitorious - free hosting running on open source code