Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Workshop module.
Note:The Workshop module is being completely rewritten for Moodle 2.0 by David Mudrák. Please see Development:Workshop 2.0 specification, Development:Workshop 2.0 testing and join our discussion Workshop 2.0 specification - request for review and comments.
A Workshop is a course peer assessment activity with many options. It was the very first contributed module, but it's been largely unmaintained for a long time except for emergency fixes by various developers to keep it operational.The default is to hide it in the site administration > modules > manage activities. Other modules such as assignment have some of its functionality.
Workshop allows participants to assess each other's projects, as well as exemplar projects, in a number of ways. It also coordinates the collection and distribution of these assessments.
These are the settings for 1.6 but are similar for 1.8 onward. The settings have help buttons. The fields or options in settings in Moodle 1.6.include:
- Submission Title, Description,
- Grade for Assessments, Grade for Submission, Grading Strategy, 'Number of Comments, Assessment Elements, Grade Bands, Criterion Statements or Categories in a Rubric',
- Number of Attachments expected on Submissions, Allow Resubmissions, Number of Assessments of Examples from Teacher, Comparison of Assessments, Number of Assessments of Student Submissions, Weight for Teacher Assessments, Over Allocation, Self Assessment, Assessments must be agreed, Hide Grades before Agreement, League Table of Submitted Work,
- Hide Names from Students, Use Password, Password, Password Maximum Size
- Start of submissions, Start of assessments, End of submissions, End of assessments, Release Teacher Grades, Group mode, Visible to students.
Research papers dealing with Workshop module
- Peer assessments using the moodle workshop tool by John F. Dooley
- Easy-to-use Workshop Module by Álvaro Figueira and Elisabete Cunha
- Using Moodle Chapter 6: Workshops
- Moodle Workshop Guide by Laura M. Christensen © 2007
- Using Moodle New Workshop Module forum discussion
- Promoting Peer Assessment: Moodle Workshop by Nitin Parmar, 2006
- Exercise module allows student self assessment and teacher to seperately grade the quality of the assignment and the self assessment.