Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Sharing Cart.
- Block: Sharing Cart 1.9 release 1 - 2008.10.15
- Block: Sharing Cart 1.9 release 2 - 2009.02.19
- Block: Sharing Cart 1.9 release 3 - 2009.03.16
The Sharing Cart is a block that enables sharing of Moodle content (resources, activities) between multiple courses on your site. You can share among teachers or among your own courses. It copies and moves single course items without user data—similar to the “Import” function in Course Administration. Items can be collected and saved on the Sharing Cart indefinitely, serving as a library of frequently used course items available for duplication. It is viewable only by teachers, course creators and administrators. For further information, see General Developer Forum postings.
- Moodle version 1.9
- Topic, Weekly or Project Course Format: The Sharing Cart now works with three formats. Topics and Weekly format are now supported as well as Project course format.
- download latest release from CVS Contrib, older releases available from: englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/downloads
- unzip the package
- using FTP, open your blocks folder in your moodle program folder on your site
- place the folder "sharing_cart" into the blocks folder
- go to "Notifications" in your site admin area, database tables will be automatically generated
- inside any course, "Turn editing on", go to Blocks "Add...", and you should see "sharing cart" in the list of blocks in the menu.
- Turning On and Off: After adding the Sharing Cart block, you will notice the block stays "on" and follows you whereever you roam courses across a site. Click the "X" icon to turn "off" the Sharing Cart, although the contents of the Sharing Cart will remain there when you turn it on again.
- Copying to the Sharing Cart: With editing on, add the Sharing Cart block from the block menu. Then you will notice a small "Copy to Sharing Cart" icon which appears after each resource or activity in the center column of a Moodle course. Click on that icon to send a copy of that resource/activity into the Sharing Cart.
- Copying from the Sharing Cart: Click "Copy to course" icon in Sharing Cart, then the resource/activity is copied into the first section of current course. And the page transits to module placing mode directly. So, if you want to cancel copying completely, the module copied into the first section needs to be removed manually.
- Making folders inside the Sharing Cart: Click the "move" icon on a course content item and an input box will appear. Input the name of the target folder there. To move an item into a folder, click the "Move to folder" icon in the Sharing Cart, then a drop-down list appears, and select the target folder. If you click the “Edit” button, you will replace the drop-down list with an input box.
Known problems & Future Plans
- Works well with Moodle standard modules (activities and resources) including Hotpot. Please tell us if your third party module does not work.
- When AJAX course editing is enabled on your site, dragging the Sharing Cart block to a new location in the blocks area may cause trouble temporarily—all blocks may freeze or all the folders freeze (this is a bug in Moodle core). To unfreeze the folders, reload the page.
- Several minor bugs [http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1086 CONTRIB-1086], [http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1089 CONTRIB-1089], [http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1090 CONTRIB-1090]) resolved on 2009.3.16. Please update your version from CVS contrib.
- From summer 2009, a new version of Sharing Cart 1.9 will be able to move content across sites.
This block was programmed by Akio Ohnishi and Tomonori Maruyama at Version2 Educational Web Development and released under GPL. The designers and maintainers of this block are Don Hinkelman and Andy Johnson. Funding was and is provided by Sapporo Gakuin University. For issues and suggestions, please contact Don on the Sharing Cart forums or directly (hinkel at sgu.ac.jp).