Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Question permissions.
- Simple Calculated
- Calculated Multichoice
- Embedded Answers (Cloze)
- Multiple Choice
- Random Short-Answer Matching
The question bank
Roles and capabilities in Moodle 1.7 onwards enable possibilities such as students being given permission to edit questions. The following capabilities are related to questions:
- moodle/question:manage (1.7 and 1.8 only)
- moodle/question:export (1.7 and 1.8 only)
- moodle/question:import (1.7 and 1.8 only)
- moodle/question:add (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:editall (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:editmine (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:moveall (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:movemine (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:useall (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:usemine (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:viewall (1.9 onwards)
- moodle/question:viewmine (1.9 onwards)
Capabilities in Moodle 1.9
In Moodle 1.9 onwards,
- The last nine capabilities listed replace moodle/question:manage
- moodle/question:add is used to determine whether a user has permission to import questions
- moodle/question:viewall and moodle/question:viewmine are used to determine whether a user has permission to export
Also in Moodle 1.9 onwards, certain capabilities contain the words all or mine.
- all means all questions, and if you have the all capability, mine is not tested.
- mine means that you have the capability for your questions but not for questions created by others
If you have the view capability for a question you can view a question created by another and "Save as New Question". This creates a new question that is one you created and which you can then do anything you have mine capability to do with.
Contexts and permissions
In Moodle 1.9 onwards, we have separate category hierarchies in Question contexts and the permissions for what you can do with a question depend on the context in which the question is.
By default a course teacher does not have permission to do anything with questions shared in areas outside the course in which they are assigned a teacher role. So if you are a teacher and your site admin has not assigned you permission to share or use questions shared in levels above the course level you will not see questions categories above the course level.
- How to let teachers share questions between courses
- Question permissions explained with diagrams
- Question creator role
- Question Engine Changes in Moodle 1.9
- Question contexts
Using Moodle forum discussions: