Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Question contexts.
- Simple Calculated
- Calculated Multichoice
- Embedded Answers (Cloze)
- Multiple Choice
- Random Short-Answer Matching
The question bank
From Moodle 1.9 we can share questions in different contexts. Context maybe an unfamiliar word, think of a context as an area within your Moodle site. Each different context has a separate question category hierarchy. And you can give your users different permssions within different context areas.
See the diagram illustrating the relationship of the different contexts below. Different colours denote different context types. Notice how question contexts contain each other.
Question contexts are just as a subset of the Roles and Permissions contexts. A context contained by another context inherits the permissions of the containing context. You can access question categories in any containing context if you have permission to do so. Remember you can access the question bank in two ways from within a activity (now only the quiz activity) or from the link in the Course admin menu to 'Questions'. When you access the question bank from the :
- Activity. If you have permissions you can access question categories in :
- that activity's context and containing contexts :
- the course in which the activity module is contained.
- the course categories in which the course that contains the activity module is contained.
- the core system context.
- Course. If you have permissions you can access question categories in :
- that course.
- the course categories in which the course is contained.
- the core system context.
So questions contexts are accessible as follows :
- Activity context : questions only available to one activity module.
- Course context : questions available to all activity modules in a course and within the course from the 'Questions' link in the course administration block.
- Course category contexts : questions available to all activity modules and courses in the course category (remember one course category can contain other course categories, you can share your questions in any or all of the parent course categories).
- Core System context : questions available in all courses and activities on your site.
All Question capabilities are tested in the relevant context. So, for example, to add a question to a category you must have the add capability for that context. See roles and capability help for more info. If you don't have permission to do something in a context then the categories in that context will not appear.