Import course data
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Import course data.
Course data may be imported from any other course for which the teacher has editing rights. This will allow teachers to re-use instead of re-creating one or more activities and resources(objects).
This feature will not import student or teacher data, such as forum posts and discussions. It will only import the structure of such activities.
How to use import course data
- Select the Import option from the Course administration block (see below).
- Next, select the course you wish to import from and click the Use this course button.
- You will be presented with a check box list from which you can select the type of activities or resources you wish to import (see below).
- Finally, click Continue when done to import that data.
Examples and tips
- Tip: Selecting forums, for example, will import all forums from that course in Moodle 1.6. Since Moodle 1.7, you can import individual items within a module type.
- Tip: Groups can also be imported as a batch from a file.
- Tip: Backups, especially since 1.6, offer other creative ways to bring in course material along with an option for student data. See Course_backup.
Question categories and the questions associated with any quiz in that course are automatically included in any course import. For example, Course One has 4 quizzes that draw their questions from Questions under the Course Default in 4 separate categories. You create Course Two and import 1 of the Course 1 Quizzes. The 4 default Course One categories will be copied (not shared) into the Course Two default area.