Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Calendar export.
Moodle allows administrators, teachers and students to export calendars so they may be imported into other calendar programs, as a backup or to create a copy. The Moodle export process creates an ics file
There are two ways to create the ics file: creating an ics file for immediate downloading to a computer, or creating a url link that will create a defined calendar from a link without actually logging into the site.
Export a calendar
At the bottom of a calendar page you will see the "Export calendar" and "iCal" links.
Click on the "iCal" link at the bottom of the Moodle calendar to show a "Opening icalexport.ics" popup window. Here you can save the file to your local computer or open it with MS Outlook.
- Note: you cannot select individual items to include in the exported file with iCal, all events will be included.
Export options for an ics file
Click on the "Export calendar" button at the bottom of a calendar will bring you to the Export page with options.
- Select "All events" or "Events related to courses"
- Select the time frame: "This week", "This month", "Recent and next 60 days".
Now you have a choice to create an icalexport.ics file or to create a url that will create the icslexport.ics file via a link.
Click on the "Export" button will bring up a "Opening icalexport.ics" popup window. Either save the file or have MS Outlook open the file directly.
After pressing the "Export calendar" button at the bottom of the calendar page, select the events and time frames you wish. The "Get URL address" button will create a URL address. Copy and paste the url link into an email or any HTML page. This link will compile the icalexport.ics file. For example:
Importing Moodle calendar into other calendars
- Enter into calendar mode by clicking the Calendar icon at the bottom-right of the client
- Click Calendar -> Import... then locate the exported iCal file
Note: changing an event in Thunderbird/Lightning will not change the event in a Moodle calendar as well, you must do that yourself.
Subscribing to a calendar in Outlook 2007
If you use an Outlook 2007 calendar, you can have your Moodle calendar events overlaid on top (or placed side by side) by following these steps:
- Go to the calendar view in your Moodle install and find the orange ical icon at the bottom and right click it, choosing "copy link location". This link will permanently subscribe to the calendar events for the currently logged in user.
- Open Outlook 2007 and go to Tools->account settings->internet calendars->new.
- Paste in the address you copied from Moodle.
- Click OK and close.
- You should now see another calendar available on the left hand calendar bar, underneath 'My Calendars'. Enable this and Outlook will update the calendar every time it opens.
- Right-click on the tabs to choose between 'side by side mode' and 'overlay mode'.
In Moodle create an export file (icalexport.ics, as detailed above) and save it on your computer.
In Google Calendar, use the settings link (usually near the sign out and help links) and select the settings tab. This will bring up the "Import Calendar" pop up window. Select the file to import and the Google Calendar the file should be imported into.