Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Backup 2.0.
Backup and restore has been completely rewritten for Moodle 2.0.
- The backup process has been made a lot more efficient, making it possible to backup very large courses
- Teachers can choose whether to include activities, blocks or filters in the backup
- Users with appropriate permissions, such as administrators, can choose whether to include users, user role assignments, user files, comments, user completion details, course logs and grade history in the backup
- Users with appropriate permissions, such as administrators, can create a backup with anonymized user information
- Teachers can easily select the whole course or specific sections or activities to backup
- Backup files have a distinctive .mbz extension to avoid confusion with .zip files
Backup and restore from 1.9 to 2.0
It is not currently possible to backup a course on a 1.9 site and restore it to a 2.0 site, however the functionality will be available in a forthcoming 2.0.x release. In the meantime, a workaround is to upgrade the 1.9 site to 2.0.