Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.4. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Messaging FAQ.
- 1 How can admins view student messages?
- 2 How can messaging be restricted?
- 3 How can messaging be disabled completely?
- 4 How can the messages window pop-up be disabled?
- 5 When are messages sent via email?
- 6 When is a user considered offline?
- 7 How can I change the 'From' address for forum notifications sent via email?
- 8 See also
How can admins view student messages?
See the Using Moodle discussion How can I see student messages?.
How can messaging be restricted?
To limit messaging to specific users, you can change the site:sendmessage capability for the authenticated user role from allow to not set, then create a new role with site:sendmessage allowed and assign this to selected users in the system context. See the Blogger role for a similar case, where blogging is limited to specific users.
Alternatively, you could create a "Cannot send messages" role with site:sendmessage set to 'prohibit' and then assign this role in the system context to anyone using messaging inappropriately.
How can messaging be disabled completely?
Messaging may be disabled site-wide by unchecking the messaging checkbox in Settings>Site Administration>Advanced Features.
How can the messages window pop-up be disabled?
- In your profile, click the blue Messaging link
- Choose to have instant messages sent to your email or Jabber account when you are online instead of a pop up.
When are messages sent via email?
To enable messages to be sent via email, a user should select "email" in the Messaging setting of their profile for instant messages. They can select whether to have emails sent when online or offline or both.
When is a user considered offline?
By default, users are considered to be offline after 5 minutes of inactivity. This figure may be changed by an administrator in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Online users.
How can I change the 'From' address for forum notifications sent via email?
By default, a user's email is set as the 'From' address for forum notifications (unless the user has hidden their email address in their profile) so that recipients can choose to reply personally rather than via the forum. To set firstname.lastname@example.org as 'From' address for all forum notification emails, untick the forum_replytouser checkbox in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Forum.
- Using Moodle Messaging forum