Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 2.4. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Glossary FAQ.
- 1 How can I turn on glossary auto-linking?
- 2 How can I make glossary entries auto-link to the first instance on a page ONLY?
- 3 How can I delete a glossary entry attachment?
- 4 How can I enable glossary auto-linking in uploaded HTML files?
- 5 How can I exempt individual words from auto-linking to a Glossary entry?
- 6 How can I prevent glossary auto-linking in a quiz?
- 7 How can I make a glossary "read only" for students?
- 8 How do I import entries from another glossary?
- 9 I am frustrated trying to import my old images glossary into my new glossary with XML
- 10 How can I make a glossary global?
- 11 See also
- The glossary auto-linking filter should be enabled by an administrator in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Filters > Manage filters.
- Each glossary entry should have the "This entry should be automatically linked" box checked.
To stop the linking of every instance, an administrator can enable either 'Filter match once per page' or 'Filter match once per text' in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Filters > Common filter settings.
How can I delete a glossary entry attachment?
Simply delete the glossary entry and add a new one.
In Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Filters > Common filter settings, set filteruploadedfiles to "All files" or "HTML files only".
If you don't want particular text to be linked (in a Forum post, say) then:
- In Edit mode, locate and click the Toggle HTML Source button on the formatting toolbar (appears as '<>' symbol)
- Locate the piece of text you want to exempt from autolinking
- Before and after the text respectively, add <nolink> and </nolink>.
- Save and check.
- In Settings > Quiz administration > Filters turn the glossary auto-linking filter off
- Click the 'Save changes' button
How can I make a glossary "read only" for students?
- In Settings > Glossary administration > Permissions, set the Create new entries capability for Student to Prevent. (screenshot in forum thread thanks to Joseph Rézeau)
How do I import entries from another glossary?
I am frustrated trying to import my old images glossary into my new glossary with XML
Here is a workaround, there has to be an easier way but
- Create a webfolder that you can link to. For example call it "images"
- Add images to that folder
- Export your XML file and edit it
- Change the src="@@PLUGINFILE@@/ to something line src="Mydomain.edu/images/ for every entry in the file.
- Save the XML file with a different name
- Import that new XML file into your new glossary
Now when you use the course import feature, your glossary will work in the new course.
How can I make a glossary global?