Talk:Site administration block
Note: You are currently viewing documentation for Moodle 1.9. Up-to-date documentation for the latest stable version is available here: Site administration block.
Why this page
I have done a few searches and can not find any direct reference to this block which appears on the site home page. It contains the links to many administrative functions. We need to have a link for a new administrator trying to figure out how Moodle is organized. --chris collman 09:17, 8 September 2007 (CDT)
Links on this page
I anticipate that many of the sub category folder details may change over time. I am debating if we could use a similar page for most of the 8 folder categories in the site admin block. Two examples:
- Server. This has 12 different sub menus on the site admin block. I created a link for this page to "Server links (administrator)" but don't know if I should create it. This new page might be set up in a similar fashion to the site admin block page. No explainations just links.
- User. This has one sub category and 2 subfolders which further expand so there are a total of 8 sub categories. Perhaps a new page "User links (administrator)" could be set up to show and contain links to the categories in their submenus format.
It would be possible to create subheadings on this page for each of the 12 folders. I think I like this the best for starters but would rather create 'special pages' for the long term.
Expanding page with subheadings
- The pluses, it would get rid of the links to the right of the picture. One place for people to edit and find information.
- The minuses, what are we going to do when something gets added or switched in the folder category, the page will expand. The page maybe too big with even 1.8 sub headings in my opinion).
Adding special pages for folder categories
- The pluses, it would be more flexible to deal with changes in site admin block menu, allow different version notation in the folder catagories, allow creation of new folder categories. Better documentation links via See also.
- The minuses, expands the number pages to edit or find.
--chris collman 10:38, 8 September 2007 (CDT)
Refer to Server Cleanup Under User Policies ---
My Moodle site was open to Google, which resulted in a host of bogus users with inappropriate postings. I unchecked the Google on Front Page, then manually deleted the users, totally unaware that the Server function would have allowed me to create settings that would delete automatically. Perhaps a reference to the Server Cleanup function listed under User Policy would be beneficial. User: kreganfigley, 9:20 CDT, May 27, 2009.
I think this page should be created with name "Site administration bloc", and a section about search. --Séverin Terrier
- Séverin, thanks for your comment. As a Site administration block already exists, I have created an admin search results page instead. Do you think this is the best solution, or should admin/search redirect to Site administration block? --Helen Foster 09:50, 19 May 2008 (CDT)
Cron run from this page?
Does cron automatically run from the notification link page every time it is entered? I don't see a button in 1.9 on the notification page that says "run cron". I will edit because I think this is what happens. Us newbies will be looking for the cron button until Moodle 10.